At Mi-IT we are committed to protecting the privacy of our customers. Our policy below sets out what information we gather, how we may use it, and how you may correct or change, which we do in strict compliance with the Privacy Act 1993.
1. The purpose of this policy
Mi-IT is bound by the Privacy Act 1993 and is committed to complying with the Act and to protect the privacy of the personal information that Mi-IT holds.
- what personal information we collect
- how we collect and use your personal information
- your right of access to your personal information
- your right to inspect and, if necessary, correct the personal information that we hold about you
- your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolution process
- your right to have your personal information protected from misuse or unauthorised
This policy applies to Mi-IT staff and contractors, job applicants, as well as individuals who provide Mi-IT with their personal information.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
Mi-IT will only collect personal information where the information is necessary for us to perform one or more of its functions or activities. In this context, “collect” means gather, acquire or obtain by any means, information in circumstances where the individual is identifiable or identified.
Where possible, we collect your personal information directly from you. If you feel that the information that we are requesting, either from our website (http://www.miit.nz/) or our subdomains, or in our discussions with you, is not information that you wish to provide, please feel free to raise this with us.
Mi-IT collects personal information primarily to provide you with information in regard to the range of products and services from Mi-IT or a subdomain.
We will collect at a minimum:
- name of the contact person
- email address and phone number
- nature of the products and services being sought from us
Mi-IT will notify individuals (including, but not limited to, our customers) of the matters listed below before collecting any Personal Information:
- the main reason that we are collecting Personal Information (this reason will be the Primary Purpose)
- other related Uses or Disclosures that we may make of the Personal Information (Secondary Purposes)
- our identity and how individuals can contact us, if this is not obvious
- that individuals can access the Personal Information that Mi-IT holds about them
- that individuals should contact us (even if they are not a customer) if they wish to access or correct Personal Information collected by us or have any concerns in relation to Personal Information
- the organisations or types of organisations to whom we usually Disclose the Personal Information including Related Bodies Corporate and contractors
- the consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the Personal Information is not provided to us.
You are not obliged to give us your Personal Information. If you would like to access any of our services or features of our website on an anonymous basis we will take reasonable steps to comply with your request. If at any time you provide personal information about anyone other than yourself, you warrant to us that you have that person’s consent to provide such information for the purpose specified.
We do not collect Sensitive Information about you unless it is necessary and we have your consent or it is required by law or in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993. Sensitive Information (if collected) is obtained through your use of our website or related means.
Other information is collected by automated methods. Other Information we collect may include:
- the Internet Protocol address and a component of the domain name used (e.g. .co.nz or .nz)
- the type of browser and operating system you use
- the date and time you visit our website
- the web pages or services you access at our website
- the time spent on individual pages and our website overall
- information about your computer and Internet connections using cookies
- We may also monitor or record calls for training purposes and to improve the level and quality of service we provide. These call recordings may also be used in the resolution of disputes.
When dealing with you we may collect information by phone in writing or through online forms. We will use this information to ensure that we, or any contractors, can perform work for Mi-IT in a safe and lawful manner. We may collect the following:
- email address
- contact details
- location details
- date of birth
When dealing with job applicants, Mi-IT collects this information in the course of an online job application form, job interviews, telephone discussions, reference checks and in writing. Mi-IT will use this information to assess the suitability of applicants for a position. In the event that the job application is rejected, Mi-IT may keep the information to use in the event that an appropriate vacancy arises. We collect the following:
- address/contact details
- career history
3. How do we use your personal information?
We will not use your personal information for any purpose which is not related to the Primary Purpose for which it is collected. This includes:
- to provide you with further information about the products and services you requested
- to deliver products and services you have requested from Mi-IT
- to personalise and customise your experiences with Mi-IT
- to help Mi-IT to review, manage and enhance its services
- to develop insights used in reports or other content developed by Mi-IT
- to communicate with you
If you go to a third party’s website via Mi-IT to complete a purchase, all information required by the seller of the product is collected from you, by the seller, using application forms on their site or via email phone (as relevant) and not collected by Mi-IT.
In addition to the Primary Purpose, we may use the Personal Information we collect and you consent to Mi-IT using your Personal Information to:
- provide individuals with relevant information about the products and services of Mi-IT and other organisations
- send you marketing and promotional material that you may be interested in
- communicate with you, including by email, phone and mail
- manage and enhance products or your experience on our website and the sub domains of Mi-IT
- conduct surveys or promotions
- verify your identity
- investigate any complaints about, or made by you, or if we have reason to suspect you have breached any relevant terms and conditions
- carry out credit checking and scoring
- disclosure of information to third party credit reference agencies and debt collection agencies or companies to collect any money owing by you due to unpaid Mi-IT bills
- as required or permitted by any law
We will not use your personal information for any purpose for which you would not reasonably expect us to use your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is accurate and up-to-date. If you feel that information about you is not accurate or your details have or are about to change, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will correct or update your personal information.
4. What happens if you choose not to provide your personal information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. Some of our services may be available on an anonymous basis. Where we do require personal information and you would like to access any of these services on an anonymous basis we will take all reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, if you choose not to provide Mi-IT with personal details, such as your name or email or phone number, the range of options available to you, may be limited.
For example, Mi-IT provides a function that allows you to request a call back, from us in regard to a service listed on the website. Without a phone number or email we cannot successfully deliver this service.
5. When do we disclose your personal information?
Mi-IT may disclose Personal Information and you consent to us disclosing such Personal Information to:
- third parties engaged by Mi-IT to perform functions or provide products or services on our or their behalf such as fulfilment of services, marketing or advertising
- persons authorised by you to receive information held by Mi-IT
- Conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process, or to help maintain the law.
You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving communications in accordance with this policy. You may “opt out” by:
- Clicking a link on the email communications sent to you
- Contacting us at email@example.com
- Writing to us at Mi-IT Ltd, 2B/1 William Pickering Drive, Albany, Auckland 0632
6. Rights of access and correction – Your rights
You have the right to:
- find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- access that information; and, if applicable
- request corrections to that information
If Mi-IT has a good reason for refusing a request for correction, you are entitled to request that a statement be attached to the information of the correction that was sought but not made.
If you want to check personal information that we hold, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You may be asked to put your request in writing and provide proof of identity.
You may, upon inspection of the Personal Information we hold about you, write to us to correct any errors in the Personal Information. Such requests should be addressed to:
2B/1 William Pickering Drive, Albany, Auckland, 0632
7. Security and Protection of Your Personal Information
Other than in relation to Other Information, we will take all reasonable steps to protect the Personal Information that we hold about you from misuse, loss or unauthorised access and disclosure including by means of password access (where applicable) and secure servers. You acknowledge that the security of communications sent by electronic means or by post cannot be guaranteed. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse, loss or unauthorised access to your Personal Information where the security of information is not within our control. If you suspect any misuse or loss of your Personal Information please contact us immediately at email@example.com
If you have a complaint about how we collect, use, disclose, manage or protect your Personal Information please contact us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org We will respond to any written complaint within 14 days of receiving the complaint.
2B/1 William Pickering Drive, Albany, Auckland, 0632
Phone (09) 476-4540
10. Interpretation and Definitions
Except where the context otherwise provides or requires
- the terms we, us or our refers to Mi-IT Ltd
- the terms you or your refers to a user of the website
Act means the Privacy Act 1993 and as amended from time to time.
Sub domains means versions of the Mi-IT website describing the services in respect of various goods and services offered by Mi-IT used by any associated entities and relevant partners as the case may be or the context requires from time to time.
Mi-IT means Mi-IT Limited
Website means the Mi-IT website at www.miit.co.nz and that of its associated entities including its sub domains regardless of how it is accessed by users (including via the internet, mobile phone or any other device or other means).
Sensitive information means information or an opinion about an individual’s:
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- membership of a political association
- religious beliefs or affiliations
- philosophical beliefs
- membership of a professional or trade association
- membership of a trade union
- sexual preferences or practices
- criminal record
- health information about an individual
- genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health